OpenSource Involvement with Mozilla

Posted: January 22, 2014 in Programming
Tags: , , ,

Here I am in Open Source Development… I was so excited to take this course so I am right now. Everything started after the first class, where we got the idea of the projects that we can work on. My “weakness” and prospective view lays in JavaScript, but more specifically node.js. I looked through the Mozilla projects and decided to start with Webmaker.org.

Dave connected me with Jon, who is interested node.js and particularly at this period of time in Content Security Policy (CSP).

CSP is an added layer of security that helps to detect and mitigate certain types of attacks, including Cross Site Scripting (XSS) and data injection attacks. These attacks are used for everything from data theft to site defacement or distribution of malware. CSP on dev.mozilla

Jon, Dave and I had a conversation in IRC, and I was assigned with a  bug959270 , which is basically saying to implement CSP into Webmaker.org. The very first thing, that I started with was a reading about the CSP. I looked through many tutorials and examples on the web, as well as read some background information on CSP. Basically you are adding allowed domains to the CSP, also you can say that in line <script> tags are not allowed -> this will decrease web application vulnerability. The same thing works with styles. 

Before starting to work on that bug, I had to setup local version of webmaker. Last Thursday I met Ali in the CDOT, he offered me his help on that. We spent some time to setup webmaker properly and that was my start point. I was fun 🙂

I will let you know, that I am a little bit familiar with node.js and I think it is a really worth knowing technology. Also a Github is a part of the Open Source Development, and I was familiar with it before as well. So I was ready to start, but I was afraid a little bit to not to mess up everything. The bug itself is really interesting, and it is not an actual bug, it is an implementation of the new feature to the product. 

During my bug fix, I found one more bug -> bug961155 🙂 This was a real fun and excitement for me. Jon assigned that bug to me as well. So I am working on both bugs.

This Monday (Jan 20), I did a Pull Request. Right now I am in the process of reviewing my bug fix. Hopefully it will pass all the requirements, but honestly I think it won’t. 🙂

Absolutely excited with this class.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s